Jamie R. Lebovitz
With compassion, dedication and years of aviation litigation experience, Jamie has focused his practice on helping families who have lost loved ones in aviation disasters.
Attorney Contact Information:
Phone: (216) 621-2300
Cell: (216) 406-1058
Case Manager Contact Information:
Paralegal Contact Information:
Jamie R. Lebovitz is a senior partner at Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy. He practices in the areas of personal injury and wrongful death litigation with a concentration in aviation, railroad, and trucking calamities. Jamie has more than 25 years of experience as a trial attorney, and he has recovered numerous multi-million dollar settlements and jury verdicts in cases against commercial airlines, aircraft manufacturers, railroad and trucking companies, and the federal government.
He’s a member of the American Association for Justice, the Ohio Association of Justice, the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys, the Ohio State, Cleveland, and Cuyahoga County Bar Associations, the Lawyers-Pilots Bar Association, and numerous other organizations.
Jamie has been appointed by federal and state courts as a member of the lead trial counsel team and the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in aviation and railroad accident cases. In these roles, he has coordinated the investigation and preparation of cases for trial on behalf of all claimants and litigants.
He has earned an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, which has been the leading authority on peer review evaluation of a lawyer’s capabilities for more than 100 years. The rating is awarded to lawyers who have achieved the highest levels of professional skill and integrity in their fields.
In addition, Law & Politics recognizes Jamie as an Ohio Super Lawyer®. Attorneys who receive this title are chosen by their peers and the independent research of Law & Politics as representatives of the top attorneys in their state.
Jamie is married and has three children. Outside of the office, he enjoys skiing, reading, traveling, playing golf and tennis, and wine tasting.
Areas of Practice:
“Jamie Lebovitz professionally navigated the complex aviation legal world—outstanding!”
– Aviation Client
“Jamie Lebovitz and his team did a fantastic job in our lawsuit resulting from accident injuries. We received an amount beyond our expectations that will cover our health needs for the rest of our lives. It was also a pleasure to work with Jamie, Tamara, and the others. They are nice, caring people.”
– Auto Accident Client
“It’s so unbelievable that 10 years have passed since the crash. It was comforting to come together at the memorial to see how far we (the families of the victims) have come in our journey from such loss and grief. Kindness, compassion, patience, listening, and understanding—these are the things that have helped us all live with the tragedy.
“The way that you and your team cared for and embraced us, the manner in which you helped us all find some justice and accountability, has made such a difference. As we look back on all we’ve been through, (I mean the families), we feel so fortunate that you were our champion and the one who made such a difference.”
“Good to hear that Jamie is ready to fight for more victims of airline disasters. He is phenomenal and so is his team.”
“Again, I find myself amazed by the unique and wonderful way you manage things. As I have told you many times, your legal ability is second to none—tenacity, intelligence, insight, strategy, you name it—you had this case dialed. When you add the compassion you have to the package, there is no one I would rather have handle a legal case for me or my loved ones.”
“There are two ends to any spectrum. Within the civil and legal realm, there are those who have been wronged and those who are victims. We have no ability within ourselves for practical, lawful recourse. You and your law firm know about the importance of this concept and obviously practice it. My family feels so blessed and fortunate to have had your firm represent us. You had been a part of this from the beginning. We appreciate your efforts more than you can know.”
-Train Accident Client
“Jamie is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the most compassionate and understanding individuals I have ever dealt with. His calming mannerisms, along with his ‘hard-as-nails, don’t mess with me’ attitude, are incredible. The phrase, a pleasure, does not seem appropriate given the circumstances, but it was a pleasure, and I would never have been able to get through everything without him.”
“Jamie is well known for representing aviation cases involving commercial carriers. However, Jamie also is very knowledgeable in defending individuals involved in general aviation accidents. Jamie is above all a caring individual genuinely concerned about myself and family.”
“When one has lost a loved one (son) in an airline crash, the toll on many levels is devastating. Then one is again traumatized by the airline executives and their attorneys. We often felt victimized by the opposing attorneys. Jamie Lebovitz and his support staff helped me, my family, and friends through this terrible experience. His experience, professionalism and ability to communicate what was happening in the process and to understand what we, the family, where feeling was exceptional.”
“Mr. Lebovitz was extremely competent, compassionate and well versed on our case. He took us through the arbitration process painlessly and with an excellent result. I would definitely recommend him to anyone requiring an outstanding personal injury attorney.”
“Jamie is an outstanding attorney. He always had OUR best interest when making decisions and providing counsel. He took a lot of his personal time to truly get to know my family, allowing him to get a sense of who he was defending in our case. He continues to check in with us (and other clients) even though our case has long been settled. He is the best of the best in aviation litigation, and I would highly recommend him (which I have). I would use Jamie and NPHM again if necessary.”
“Professionally navigated the complex aviation legal world. Outstanding!”
– Aviation Client
More About Jamie R. Lebovitz:
Notable Aviation & Railroad Cases:
- Air Evac Life Team Helicopter Crash in Boonville, Indiana
- Alaska Air Flight 261 Crash near Los Angeles, California
- American Airlines/Corporate Airlines Flight 5966 Crash in Kirksville, Missouri
- Beech 58 Crash near Teterboro, New Jersey
- Beech V35B Crash in Rock Hill, South Carolina
- Burke Lakefront Airport Propeller Fatality, Cleveland, Ohio
- Burlington Northern Train Collision near Los Angeles, California
- Cessna P201N Crash in Salmon, Idaho
- City of New Orleans Amtrak Train Crash near Chicago, Illinois
- Comair (Delta Commuter) Flight 3272 Crash near Detroit, Michigan
- Delta Airlines Flight 7529 Crash near Carrolton, Georgia
- Delta Airlines Flight 810 Disaster near Los Angeles, California
- East Coast Jets Raytheon Hawker 800 Crash in Owatonna, Minnesota
- EgyptAir Flight 990 Crash near Nantucket, Massachusetts
- Georgian Express Flight 126 Crash near Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada
- Hawker Beechcraft F33A Bonanza Crash in Tarentum, Pennsylvania
- Hughes 269B Helicopter Crash in Cleveland, Ohio
- Lancair 235 & Cessna 172L midair collision near Rootstown, Ohio
- Mooney M20E Crash in Cedar City, Utah
- Mooney M20M Crash in Midlothian, Virginia
- National Guard C-130 Crash in Evansville, Indiana
- Piper PA-28R-180 Crash in Perma, Montana
- Rockwell International 690B Crash in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Singapore Airlines Flight 006 Crash at Taipei, Taiwan
- Swissair Flight Crash near Halifax, Nova Scotia
- TWA Flight 800 Crash in Long Island, New York
- U.S. Forestry Service Crash in Flathead County, Montana
- United Flight 232 Crash in Sioux City, Iowa
- USAir Flight 1493 Crash at Los Angeles, California
- USAir Flight 405 Crash at LaGuardia Airport
- USAir Flight 427 Crash in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
- USAir Flight 4743 Crash in Beckley, West Virginia
- Valujet Flight 592 Crash near Miami, Florida
- Ohio, 1982
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Utah
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Central Districts of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Third Judicial District of Utah
- U.S. District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District of Columbia, 2005
- Bergen County Superior Court
- Chesterfield County Circuit Court
- Elkhart County Superior Court
- Philadelphia Courts of Common Pleas
- Cleveland State University, B.A., 1979, cum laude
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1982
Notable Reported Decisions:
- Beck v. Alaska Air Group, 2002 U.S. Dist. Lexis 10017, N.D. Cal., May 24, 2002.
- Dowe v. Amtrak, 2003 U.S. Dist. Lexis 18538, N.D. Ill., October 21, 2003.
- Dowe v. Amtrak, 2004 U.S. Dist. Lexis 7233, N.D. Ill., April 26, 2004.
- Garber v. Provident Life & Accident Ins. Co., 22 Employee Benefits CAS, BNA, 1090, Sixth Circuit, 1999.
- In re: Air Crash off Point Mugu, 145 Fed. Sup.2d 1156, N.D. Cal., 2001.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- The District of Columbia Bar
- Lawyers-Pilots Bar Association
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Hillel: Board & Internship
- MedWish: Board
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: Grievance Committee
- Ohio Association for Justice, Winter Convention 2012, Airplane Crash Cases Making the Skies Safer
- Overview of Commercial Aviation Litigation, Columbus, Ohio
- Aviation Law and Contracts – Implications of the Warsaw Convention, Columbus, Ohio
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005, 2007, and 2008 – 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers® by Law & Politics Media
- Martindale-Hubbell® Client Distinction Award recipient, 2013
- U.S. News & World Report, Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms, Aviation Law, Cleveland, 2015
Jamie has served on numerous boards and committees, both in the legal community and philanthropic community including, Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, MedWish, Park Synagogue, and many others.
- Lebovitz, Jamie. Foreward. The Long Nights of Mourning: A Journey with Grief After Sudden Loss. By Janis Ost Ford. 2003. xi-xiii.