David M. Paris
Attorney Contact Information:
Phone: (216) 694-5206
Case Manager Contact Information:
Paralegal Contact Information:
David M. Paris, managing partner with Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy, started with the firm in the mid 1970s when he served as a law clerk while attending the Cleveland Marshall College of Law. He became a principal in 1988 and began taking on managerial responsibilities. He then became managing partner in 2002.
"It was conversations with Jack McCarthy that helped David understand that law could play a role in the greater good. 'Jack often spoke of the great disparities in wealth and education between our clients and the insurance companies and corporations who sat on the other side of the table. He articulated best the notion that we could affect social change, modify unsafe behavior and redistribute some of the wealth to those whose lives had become broken. That theme continues to resonate with me."
For more than 30 years, David has been a trial lawyer, successfully representing clients in a wide variety of complex injury and wrongful death cases, including: defective products, medical malpractice, construction accidents, employer intentional torts, and motor vehicle collisions. At Nurenberg Paris, he chairs the class action department and has resolved consumer class action suits against insurance companies on behalf of a class of 600,000 members and against auto dealerships on behalf of 75,000 class members. David is a certified civil trial specialist who has recovered in excess of $170 million dollars in settlements and verdicts for his clients.
Many of the cases he has championed have had a direct impact on the rights of consumers in Ohio. Some of the more notable decisions have been Baughman v. State Farm Mutual Insurance Co., 88 Ohio St. 3d 481 (2000) (establishing important criteria for certification of a consumer class action) and Holeton v. Crouse Cartage Co., 92 Ohio St. 3d 115 (2001) (our client was a companion case which declared Ohio’s workers’ compensation subrogation statute unconstitutional).
Personal Bio: View
David lives in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, with his wife of nearly 30 years. He’s proud of the close relationships he has with his two daughters—one is a publicist in Manhattan’s fashion industry, and the other is in her final year of law school.
He and his wife are avid tennis players and skiers. They also enjoy cruising on his motorcycle. When David’s not spending time with his wife or reading up on new cases, he loves reading mystery novels and working in his yard.
David lives by a few simple but effective mottos: prepare hard; play hard but fair; make good calls and don’t whine; be humble in victory; shake hands when you lose; and learn from your mistakes.
Areas of Practice: View
Bar Admissions: View
- Ohio, 1978
- California, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2001
- Ohio State University, 1974
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1978
David has been recognized by his peers in virtually every publication rating lawyers across the country. Since 2005, David has been selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers®. And since 2007, he has been recognized as one of the Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers and the Top 50 Super Lawyers in Cleveland. In 2013, he is recognized as one of the Top 10 Ohio Super Lawyers and Top 5 Super Lawyers in Cleveland.
He is the past president of the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys and has lectured extensively in the area of trial practice. David was also selected for membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates. Membership is available only by invitation to trial attorneys who have demonstrated excellent trial skills while maintaining the highest level of professionalism, integrity, honor, and courtesy. In addition, he was selected for inclusion in the 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers® by Law & Politics Media. Since 2007, he has been recognized as one of the Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers.
David also was selected by the American Trial Lawyers Association as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Ohio. Selection for this association is extended to civil plaintiff attorneys by special invitation. Candidates are considered for membership based on superior qualifications, leadership, reputation, influence, stature, and profile in the trial lawyer community.
In 2006, he was invited to become a fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL), which is widely considered the most exclusive trial lawyers group in the world. Membership is limited to 500 from the United States and is based on superior skill and recognized ability in trial services, promotion of the best interests of the legal profession and the highest standards and techniques of advocacy, and excellent character and absolute integrity.
Notable Reported Decisions: View
- Baughman v. State Farm Mutual Insurance Co., 88 Ohio St. 3d 481 (2000) Established important criteria for certification of a consumer class action
- Holeton v. Crouse Cartage Co., 92 Ohio St. 3d 115 (2001) Our client’s case was the companion to the decision which declared Ohio’s workers’ compensation subrogation statute unconstitutional
- Chapman v. Milford Towing, Inc, U.S. App LEXIS 18897 (2012) Affirmed a jury verdict and pre-judgment interest for our client who lost a leg in a tow truck misadventure
Professional Associations and Memberships: View
- American Association for Justice
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Baycol Litigation Group, 2001-2003
- California Bar Association
- Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys (CATA), President, 2001-2002
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Alumni Association, Life Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Crane and Electrical Injury Litigation Group, 1991-1998
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, State Chair, 2006-present
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- National Board of Trial Advocacy Certified Civil Trial Specialist
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio Eighth Appellate Judicial Conference, Life Member
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Alumni Association, Trustee, 1982-1983
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, City of New Orleans Amtrak Crash, 1999-2004
- Ohio Eighth Appellate Judicial Conference, General Litigation Committee, 2001
- Certified Grievance Committee, Cuyahoga County Bar Association, 2002-2008
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Visiting Committee, 2009-present
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Judicial Excellence Task Force, 2010-present
More About David Paris: View
- Trial Advocacy Institute, Cleveland-Marshall College, Instructor, 1990-present
- Preparing and Trying The Auto Case (Professional Systems, Inc.), 1989, 1994
- The Supplemental Action, Ohio Association for Justice, 1990
- Insurance Litigation In Ohio, National Business Institute, 1993
- The Constitutionality of Ohio Workers’ Compensation Subrogator Statute, CATA, 2001
- The Digital Trial Lawyer, Akron Bar Association, 2002
- Trial Advocacy Program for the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2005-present
- Preparation of the Plaintiff Maximizing Damages: Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Lorain County Bar Association, 2007
- The Negligent Hiring/Retention Case, CATA, 2009
- Hiring and Retention of Drivers: Regulatory Overview of Safe Drivers, Trucking Negligence Seminar, Lorain County Bar Association, 2011
- Speaking Objections at Depositions, CATA, 2013
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2008 to 2012 Best Lawyers®
- CATA Distinguished Service Award, 2009
- Cleveland State University, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2010
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Alumni of the Year, 2011
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005 to 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers® by Law & Politics Media
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007 to 2013 Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers by Law & Politics Media
- Selected for inclusion in 2007 and 2013 Top 50 Ohio Super Lawyers in Cleveland by Law & Politics Media
- Selected for inclusion in the 2013 Top 10 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in the 2013 Top 5 Cleveland area Super Lawyers
“In every aspect of the engagement, David Paris provided the highest level of service that one could expect.”
“I was very pleased with how David handled my case. I appreciated his openness with me as we discussed the difficult parts of my case.”
“David fights for his clients and informs them of all options so that his clients not only understand the situation, but can be part of the ‘process.’”
“David is an excellent advocate and a true gentleman. I hold him in the highest regard for the way that he handled my case and me as a person.”
“I have known Mr. Paris for more than 30 years and each and every time I have had to deal with him, he has been outstanding in each and every way. He has been honest, fair, dependable, and most of all credible. I highly recommend him.”
- Personal Injury Client
“I endorse this lawyer. I have handled civil cases in virtually every state in the country. David is one of the best personal injury lawyers I have ever encountered. He is extraordinarily prepared at all times and thorough in all aspects. Unlike some lawyers, David's word is "gold.” When he commits to doing something you can count on it being done. David clearly stands out amongst his peers.”
-Christopher Holecek, Opposing Counsel
“Over many years, David and his firm have zealously and professionally represented my family members and friends. He is compassionate to their situations, keeps them informed of the proceedings, and is always available to answer their questions along the way. In addition, he typically brings home great results. I highly recommend him.”
– Ronald Wayne, Attorney, Buckingham Doolittle & Burroughs, LLP
“David Paris is one of the most dynamic, high-powered litigators I have ever had the pleasure to work with in the courtroom. His attention to detail and command of the facts is without compare.”
-Pat Murphy, Vice President, Med Art & Legal Graphics Co.
“David and I were opposing counsel in a decade-long consumer class action with much at stake. David did a superb job on behalf of the class, and I found him to be a formidable adversary. He was honest and forthright, and despite being adversaries, he was always pleasant and highly professional. David is clearly at the top of the plaintiffs' bar.”
-Mark Johnson, Partner, Baker & Hostetler LLP
“I have opposed David in numerous lawsuits, including two trials which I can recall, over nearly 30 years. David is a formidable adversary and a very good lawyer. He is a man of integrity, one I can trust. He is always professional in his dealings with me as defense counsel as well as with my clients. I recommend David Paris as a high quality lawyer for plaintiffs in personal injury matters.”
-Joe Pappalardo, Partner, Gallagher Sharp
“David is an excellent attorney. He knows what to do and how to do. Perhaps most importantly, he is a professional.”
-Ken Abbarno, Attorney, Reminger Co. LPA
“Dave is the best. A first rate person, a first rate trial lawyer, and the managing partner of a first rate firm. I am proud to have worked with Dave and his firm.”
-Jeffrey H. Friedman, President, Friedman, Domiano & Smith Co., LPA
“David is rightfully considered to be in an elite group of trial attorneys in his respective areas of expertise, not only on a local basis but also regionally and nationally. This designation is well deserved given his astuteness, successes, professionalism and competence.”
-Jerome Weiss, Owner, Mediation Inc.