Kathleen J. St. John
Attorney Contact Information:
Phone: (216) 694-5246
Case Manager Contact Information:
Kathleen J. St. John brings more than 25 years of experience to Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy. A vital part of our legal team, Kathleen leads the appellate, research, and writing departments at our firm.
In 1982, Kathleen earned her Juris Doctorate from Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, graduating cum laude. After law school, she started her legal career as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Alvin I. Krenzler of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division.
Kathleen serves as a director of the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys (CATA) and as editor of CATA News. She was selected for inclusion in the 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers® for appellate law—an honor given to attorneys who have attained a high degree of achievement and peer recognition.
Taking particular interest in the academic success of young adults, she has acted as a volunteer judge for the Ohio High School Mock Trial program sponsored by the Ohio Center for Law Related Education. She also has volunteered in the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's 3Rs program where she teaches constitutional law to tenth grade students in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. Kathleen was formerly a volunteer instructor in both adult literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) programs sponsored by Project Learn.
Areas of Practice: View
Bar Admissions: View
- Ohio, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2009
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, B.A., 1979, summa cum laude
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1982, cum laude
Notable Reported Decisions: View
- Baughman v. State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co., 160 Ohio App.3d 642, 2005-Ohio-1998
- Baughman v. State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co., 88 Ohio St.3d 480, 2000
- Beck v. Alaska Air Group, 2002 U.S. Dist. Lexis 10017 (N.D. Cal, May 24, 2002)
- Burris v. Lerner, 139 Ohio App.3d 664 (2000)
- Ferrando v. Auto-Owners Mutual, 98 Ohio St.3d 186 (2002)
- Gallagher v. Cleveland Browns Football Co., 79 Ohio St.3d 427 (1996)
- Harp v. City of Cleveland Heights, 87 Ohio St.3d 506 (2000)
- Holeton v. Crouse Cartage Co.(amicus curiae), 92 Ohio St.3d 115 (2001)
- In re: Air Crash off Point Mugu, 145 Fed. Sup.2d 1156 (N.D. Cal 2001)
- Kerg v. Atl. Tool & Die Co., 176 Ohio App.3d, 2008-Ohio-2364
- Minton v. Honda of America Manufacturing, Inc., (amicus curiae), 80 Ohio St.3d 62 (1997)
- Moskovitz v. Mt. Sinai Med. Ctr. (amicus curiae), 69 Ohio St.3d 638 (1994)
Professional Associations and Memberships: View
More About Kathleen J. St. John: View
- Case Law Update: Recent Ohio Supreme Court Cases Relevant to Personal Injury Practice, Lorain County Bar Association, 2009
- Constitutional Challenges in Your Personal Injury Practice, Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys, 2001
- Destroying Subrogation Rights Without the UM/UIM Carrier's Consent, Auto Insurance Seminar, Ohio Association for Justice, 2002
- Jurisdiction, Venue, and Associated Internet Issues in Municipal and County Courts, The Supreme Court of Ohio Judicial College, 2011
- Stare Decisis, Insurance Law Seminar, Ohio Association of Justice, 2003
- Tort Reform, Panel Discussion Co-Chairperson, The Judicial Conference of the Eighth Judicial District, 2007
- What is the Status of Workers' Compensation Subrogation in Ohio?, 45th Ohio Association of Justice Annual Convention, 2002
Honors and Awards
- CATA President's Award for Outstanding Service, 2010-2011
- Selected for inclusion in the 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers® by Law & Politics Media
- Medical Authorizations and Your Client's Right to Privacy,” CATA News, Winter 2010-2011.
- “Personal Jurisdiction over the Foreign Defendant: Brown, Nicastro, and the Internet,” CATA News, Winter 2011-2012.
- “S.B. 227: Workers' Compensation Subrogation Rights,” 14, Ohio Trial, Issue 1, Spring 2004.
- “What Lies Beneath: Workers' Compensation Subrogation in the Wake of Holeton v. Crouse Cartage Co.,” 12, Ohio Trial Magazine, 2001.
Download Articles: View
- The Havel Anomaly
- Medical Authorizations And Your Client's Right to Privacy
- Pleading After Iqbal and Twombly
- S.B. 227: Workers' Compensation Subrogation Rights
- Personal Jurisdiction Over The Foreign Defendant: Brown, Nicastro, and the Internet
- What Lies Beneath Workers' Compensation Subrogation In the Wake of Holeton v. Crouse Cartage Co.