July 24th, 2014|
Manufacturers of the foods and supplements Americans consume each day are supposed to test their products to ensure their safety. Yet each year, a large number of products are released to the public that are subsequently found to cause consumers serious harm.
Workout supplement health risks have gained media attention once again after an Ohio teen died as the result of using a caffeinated powder. Reports indicate that at the time of his death, the young man from LaGrange had more than 23 times the amount of caffeine contained in a typical soda or coffee in his body.
According to an article from The Globe and Mail, the powder is sold as a dietary supplement that is used to increase energy prior to workouts. This allows the product to go without the testing that most food products must pass prior to being released to the public.
The victim was set to graduate high school and attend college when he was found dead in May. He’s not the only victim though. Nationwide Children’s Hospital poison control center in Columbus, Ohio, has responded to at least three other overdose incidents involving the product over the past month.
So what makes the powder so dangerous? Experts with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration say it’s the product’s potency. A mere 1/16 of a teaspoon is a single serving, meaning that one whole teaspoon could be lethal. Without measuring tools being provided, an overdose can easily occur.
The Ohio personal injury lawyers with Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy recognize the dangers that can be associated with certain workout supplements and encourage citizens to refrain from using such products.