Monster energy drink blamed for two teens’ deaths

by lmallernee | October 24th, 2012

October 24, 2012

A mother in Maryland is suing the makers of Monster Energy Drink for contributing to the wrongful death of her 14-year-old daughter, reports Ohio’s WKYC. The cause of her death was cardiac arrhythmia caused by caffeine toxicity. The daughter had two Monster Energy drinks within 24 hours, or the equivalent of 14 sodas.

According to reports that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating, the highly caffeinated Monster Energy Drink has been cited in five deaths and one, non-fatal heart attack. Energy drinks like Monster are not regulated by the FDA because they are not considered a food; they are considered a dietary supplement.

People have had severe adverse reactions after consuming the 24-ounce can of Monster, which contains 240 milligrams of caffeine or seven times the amount of the caffeine in a 12-ounce cola.

This recent news from Maryland follows a filing last week of a wrongful death lawsuit in California by the parents of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking two 24 ounce Monster Energy drinks in 24 hours.

As in the Maryland case, an autopsy concluded that she died of cardiac arrhythmia caused by caffeine toxicity.

Both sets of parents are claiming that Monster failed to warn about the risks of drinking its products.

If you or a loved one has been adversely affected by a certain product, the Ohio personal injury lawyers at Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy may be able to help.