Prescription Drugs Leading to More Deaths

by nph | May 27th, 2011

May 27, 2011

“Mommy, my mouth is hot!” says a 3-year-old little boy.

The mother’s head snaps over to the table in the kitchen, thinking that the child has gotten into the cinnamon hearts she had picked up for Valentine’s Day. Realizing the candy hasn’t been touched, her mind begins to speed up. Seeing an empty prescription bottle on the floor next to the child’s makeshift stool, panic sets in.

The child had ingeniously flipped over a plastic storage bin to reach a shelving unit. The young boy found a bottle of prescription medication and, after managing to remove the childproof top, ate all the pills.

Stories like this are becoming more common with the numerous medications available on the market today for any ailment one has. A study by the Nationwide Children’s Hospital says accidental poisonings from prescription drugs are costing $1.4 billion annually. Also, in Ohio, deaths from prescription drugs now exceed those from automobile accidents.

Parents can protect their children from the dangers of accidental poisoning by following a few simple steps:

  • Get a lock box for prescription drugs.
  • Install child locks on cabinets.
  • Keep children within eyesight by using baby gates.

If your child does accidently ingest a drug they are not supposed to take, contact your local poison control center immediately. After treatment, get in touch with an Ohio drug injury lawyer, such as Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy, to discuss your rights and your next step.