April 27th, 2012|
April 27, 2012
Dares are a common past time for young people. Normally, the dares are harmless and in good fun, but many of the challenges teens are taking on today could put them at serious risk of injury.
An article from News Channel 5 told of one such challenge that has thousands of Internet videos going viral documenting young people attempting to swallow a teaspoon full of cinnamon with no water. Known as the “Cinnamon Challenge,” most who attempt the dare find themselves choking and gagging on the powder, something that may be quite hazardous to a person’s health, according to doctors.
A pediatric pulmonologist at Akron Children’s Hospital, Dr. Greg Omler, states that eating that much cinnamon at one time can cause burns in the throat, mouth, and organ linings. The powdery spice can also cause mucus to get blocked in the lungs, creating a breeding ground for pneumonia.
Take, for instance, the case of an Ann Arbor, Michigan, girl who spent four days in a local hospital after attempting the challenge or the 139 cases reported to poison control nationwide over a three-month period this year. Of those patients, 30 required medical attention.
The Ohio Catastrophic Injury Attorneys with Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy would encourage anyone considering taking on a dare to think twice and consider all the dangers you may face before accepting a challenge. That second thought may just save your life.