When you have an auto accident, the local police department where the accident occurred or the Ohio State Highway Patrol will complete a Crash Report about the accident. If the accident happened within a city or township that has its own police department, that department will file the report. If you live in a more rural area, the Ohio State Highway Patrol will file your report and handle your accident investigation.

The Crash Report will include the crash photos and details recorded by the officer who reported to the scene of the accident. You can request your Crash Report online or by mail.

You should wait at least seven business days after the date of your accident before requesting the initial Crash Report. If your accident required additional investigation beyond the initial report, your Crash Report may not be available until after the additional investigation is completed.