Free Consultations 24/7
The decedent went to the hospital in 1983 for tests to see if she had blockages in her pancreas or bile ducts that were causing her stomach pains. Doctors tested the decedent, even though they knew she was allergic to a dye used in the procedure. The decedent began developing signs of an allergic reaction, but blood tests were not ordered until two days later. When blood tests were done, it was shown that the decedent’s red blood cells and platelets were being destroyed. As a result, she had to have blood transfusions and was ill for a month. In 1987, the decedent tested positive for the HIV virus after seeing a report about how the disease could be spread through blood transfusions. As a result of the negligence during the original testing procedure, the decedent went through multiple procedures and was infected with the HIV virus that led to her untimely death.